Re: Microsoft proxy

"David W. Morris" <dwm@XPASC.COM> wrote:
  > On Thu, 1 Oct 1998, Jim Gettys wrote:
  >
  > > >From your description, it does sound like a bug in their proxy.
  > > 			 - Jim
  > >

  > On the other hand, the proxy detected an error and attempted to report
  > it.  The question to me would hinge on whether the proxy then did
  > a connection reset or normal close.
  >
  > I don't believe that HTTP is well architected for recovering
  > partial transfers or in some cases even detecting incomplete transfers
  > except those initiated by the client. Without architected error recovery,
  > its all up to the implementation.

I agree.  Consider the plight of an HTTP server running a gateway.
Suppose the gateway (CGI) produces some of its output but doesn't
finish in a reasonable amount of time.  How can the server report an
error once it has begun its response?  I suspect that's more or less
what happened to the MS proxy.

Dave Kristol