Re: Fwd: draft-ietf-http-v11-spec-rev-04 comments

"Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu> wrote:
  > > JG:
  > >I've changed all references to inbound to upstream and outbound to downstream
  > >in the document.
  >
  > YIKES! Please don't do that. Every stream (request or response) has both
  > an upstream (where it came from) and a downstream (where it is going)
  > based on the direction of the stream.  In contrast, inbound and
  > outbound refer to the request path where the origin server is always
  > the most inbound server and the user agent is always the most outbound.
  > In other words, the first two change directionality based on whether
  > it is a request or a response, whereas the second two do not.

I'm inclined to agree with Roy, with the following additional caveat:
please define "upstream" and "downstream".  They always confuse me and,
I suspect, others.  Please don't say "it's obvious".  I don't know
whether requests flow upstream or downstream.

Dave Kristol