Re: What is Content-Length?

At 10:43 12/17/97 PST, Larry Masinter wrote:
>We need to resolve the issue of content-length and cascaded
>transfer encodings quickly. We need two interoperable
>implementations of this 'feature', even if it is implicit in
>the spec, or else we should restrict the allowed set.

libwww is certainly designed to handle multiple transfer encodings as well
as multiple content encodings on client side. The application can register
new handlers for encodings dynamically - they just get plugged into the
read stream.

>I don't think we should explore too many degrees of freedom.

When a client says that it understands multiple encodings using TE, it
should also be able to plug them together.

I actually don't think we have to provide sanity rules here - there are
many other places in the spec where we expect people to use the "don't
forget to think" rule. The only rule we need is that a message must be self
delimiting according to section 4.4, but this is already stated there.

Henrik
--
Henrik Frystyk Nielsen,
World Wide Web Consortium