Re: Is MHTML only for e-mail?

My initial reactions to your questions Jacob are:
>Question 1: Is it the intention that HTTP can be used in this way?

Yes. We have implemented it (Internet Explorer 4.0 for Win32 supports it). I
belive the Netscape folks said that Navigator/Communicator would support
this too.

>Question 2: Should MHTML be amended to say that it covers all sending of
>HTML in MIME, not only through SMTP but also through HTTP and possibly
>other protocols, for example FTP?

Yes. It should be generic for anything that supports MIME. One however must
question whether FTP really supports MIME, but for example it is clearly
supported for POP3 & IMAP.

>Question 3: A main principle of MHTML is that if a HTML document is sent
>as part of a multipart/related, lookup of links in the HTML document
>should first go to other body parts within the multipart/related,
>and ordinary HTTP lookup should only be done if there is no match
>in another body part. Is this principle true also when multipart/related
>is sent via HTTP?

Yes.

>Question 4: If the answer to question 2 is "yes", does this mean that
>the IETF MHTML group should liaise with some other IETF group on this
>issue? I am sending a copy of this message to the mailing list for the
>IETF working group on HTTP. Since I am not a member of that group,
>please post responses also to the mhtml mailing list.

It certainly would be a good idea for other folks to be aware of this work.
I'm not sure what other MIME related groups should be told about it. I also
think that we have enough of the "right people" who are pay attention in
this group to apply these results broadly, especially given that folks like
myself, Larry and Roy are (/ have become) involved. I think posting messages
to various groups is appropriate, but I don't see any need for
formal/informal liason.

Alex