Re: Digest mess

JF> One other question.  Dave Kristol asked me what keeps a man in
JF> the middle from stripping the digest from the response.  I said
JF> the digest-required field.   But I'm not sure I'm right.  It looks
JF> like only the server can use digest-required now.  Do we want to
JF> let the client require a digest also?  If so how?

  There appears to have been an omission in the syntax for the
  Authorization header - it was in my original draft for
  digest-required.  The text is correct in
  draft-ietf-http-authentication-00:

    3.2.2 The Authorization Request Header

       If the value of the digest-required parameter is "true", the
       response to this request MUST either include the "digest" field
       in its Authentication-Info header or the response should be an
       error message indicating the server is unable or unwilling to

  but the digest-required syntax got left out of the syntax for the
  header field.  The Digest-response production should be

     Digest-response   = 1#( username | realm | nonce | digest-uri

--
Scott Lawrence           EmWeb Embedded Server       <lawrence@agranat.com>
Agranat Systems, Inc.        Engineering            http://www.agranat.com/