Re: 301/302

Larry Masinter wrote:

> there are many more elegant ways to distinguish between
> old and new versions of user-written scripts, too, but
> my point was to counter the claim that it was _impossible_,
> not to invent an elegant possibility.

Fair enough, though I don't think I made the claim that it was
impossible, merely that CGI was broken because we have to invent
something outside it to deal with the problem.

> In general, if there are going to be any changes are
> bug fixes, we have to deal with scripts that were written
> against older specs. There are ".asis" CERN server scripts
> that attempt to emit not just the body and a few directives
> but the entire HTTP response. Clearly, if those scripts
> are not rewritten but aren't conformant, they can't be
> called HTTP. So at some point you _must_ distinguish scripts
> (and servers) by their version, and either label older
> scripts as "not HTTP/1.x" or else patch up their output.

Surely if one never changes the semantics of existing headers it is not
necessary to know which version is being used?

Cheers,

Ben.

--
Ben Laurie                Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435  Email:
ben@algroup.co.uk