The meaning of 301 (was Re: 301/302)

On Tue, 29 Jul 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> >	Unfortunately, when I get stuff I wrote back from a list server
> >and re-read it, it often becomes clear that I don't understand what
> >I'm talking about.  For a 301 on a POST, does that really mean
> >substitute the new RequestURI for all future submissions, or only
> >when the content is identical to that of the current submission?
>
> All future submissions -- 301 is a "fix your damn links" response. ;)
>
> ....Roy

That makes sense, although I doubt it is implemented like that anywhere.

To take this a step further, I assume that also means that a 301
redirection remains in effect not only over variations of POST content,
but also over variation of method.  I.e. (if the same resource allows
multiple methods) a POST to a URL gets a 301 response, this would[*]
influence what the client does if it is later asked to do a GET on
the same URL.  And vice versa.

[*] Actually "could" instead of "would", since no client is required to
remember (cache) 301 responses.

Is that a correct understanding?

    Klaus