Re: New Issue: Incompatiblity between caching needs and persistant connections.

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Natchu Vishnu Priya wrote:

> Put simply persistant connections require me to place all my related
> documents, images, etc on a single comman server, while to facilitate
> caching it might be very useful to use a comman url for inlaid images.

I may be wrong, but I believe that e.g. Netscape opens 4 connections
by default. Can it (or any agent that opens multiple conections)
have persistant connections to multiple servers, and win/win ?

> For example an entire university might use images located on a master
> image server and use a single URL for refering to their emblem.

This seemed to me to be a good idea in general, but I'm not so sure
about linking images from places around the world (Blue Ribbon, etc.)
due to network problems giving partly-broken pages. See
http://vancouver-webpages.com/CacheNow/ for promotional material :-)

I think some of these problems may go away if/when URNs are deployed
instead of URLs (for multiply-sourced objects)

Andrew Daviel         mailto:advax@triumf.ca
TRIUMF & Vancouver Webpages