RE: Unverifiable Transactions / Cookie draft

At 11:21 PM 18/03/97 -0800, Yaron Goland wrote:
>The IETF is not a social engineering organization and its purpose is not
>for users to "forcefully indicate their preferences to UA vendors." I
>also wasn't aware that "UA publishers have been left with a great deal
>of freedom as to how they present the required information to the user."
>was a bad thing. I thought this was a free country where UA vendors are
>free to produce the product they want and users are free to use it if
>they want.

  I hadn't realised either that this discussion was taking place in a
particular country or that it was illegal anywhere to produce non-compliant
products.
  Passing information about people between companies without the consent of
the person involved, on the other hand, is subject to legislative control,
in the country I'm discussing this from as in other places. What's the
status of a product sold in such a country which denies the user a means to
prevent a potentially illegal practice, I wonder?

- Donald Neal