Re: Cookie Question

At 05:12 PM 2/16/97 +0100, Koen Holtman wrote:
>Ari Luotonen:
>>

>>> [Proxy Cookies]
>>> I was wondering if anyone else sees a value in such a
>>> construct and if it should be pursued further.
>>
>>We get a lot of requests for such a feature, and would be eager to
>>support it.
>
>I think that most of the applications you have in mind can also be
>implemented by using the IP address of the client as a persistent client
>identifier.  So a lack of proxy cookies may not be what is blocking these
>applications.  Or am I missing something?
>
>>Ari Luotonen	* * * Opinions my own, not Netscape's * * *

        There is a many-to-one relationship between clients and IP numbers.
The largest groups of clients, subscribers to AOL, CompuServe, MSN, et al,
are assigned IP numbers on a rotating basis from a fixed smaller pool. This
means that a double-digit percentage of WWW clients cannot reliably be
identified by their IP numbers, even from minute to minute, as end-to-end
WAN quality of service is such that many users will redial, getting new IP
numbers, within a single "session".

--
Matthew Rubenstein, COO                North American Media Engines
Toronto, Ontario        http://www.name.net           (416)943-1010

               They also surf who only stand on waves.