Re: Call for Closure - HTTP response version

On Tue, 31 Dec 1996, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> Hmm. Isn't this where Upgrade: was intended to be used? Something like:
>
> GET /something HTTP/1.1
> Upgrade: HTTP/2.0
>
> and then the server would respond with 2.0 if it supported it? That's
> what section 14.41 of the HTTP/1.1 spec would seem to indicate.

As written UPGRADE only applies to the current transport layer connection
and only to incompatible protocols. While there is a possiblity that
it might be re-written to provide a subsequent connection hint as well
as my suggestion, I think one could easily postulate that certain
upgrades would truly only apply within a connection and never as the
initial state of a new connection so there would be a conflict.

Dave Morris