Re: webmaster@website

Gregory J. Woodhouse wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 1997, Adam M. Costello wrote:
>
> > The webmaster@website convention is falling out of use.  Has anyone
> > considered making it a requirement for HTTP/1.1 compliance?  Is it too
> > late to even be talking about this?
> >

> I don't think it's too late. It is essential that there be some such
> address, and "webmaster" certainly seems to bve the logical choice.
> Unfortunately, the term  "webmaster" has been coopted (too strong a word?)
> to refer to HTML authors and web page designers. Even so, I don't think it
> would be overly confusing to use "webmaster" in way you suggest. A
> secondary problem is that many people maintain multiple webs on the same
> system (e.g., ISPs that provide web hosting) without having a separate
> domain. Typically, this results in URLs like
>
> http://www.whatever.com/~whoever/
>
> I'm not sure how to handle this situation.

I was pondering this the other day. It occurred to me that it would be sensible
to be able to ask a web server who the webmaster was for a particular URL.

Then all such problems could be solved by careful configuration.

I guess that would need a new method - which could return other stuff that is
not normally of interest to the client. "INFO <url>", perhaps?

This may be related to the WEBDAV work that's going on at the moment.

Cheers,

Ben.