Re: HTTP response version, again

On Mon, 30 Dec 1996, Bob Jernigan wrote:

> It's not the response that being labeled by the HTTP/1.1 header, it's
> the server's capability.  There would be no reason to send an HTTP
> header if it only had to match the client's request.
>
> bob

A lot of people have said this, but I don't see where it is spelled out.
This particular interpretation of the version number in the response is
very counter-intuitive and so I think calls for some discussion in the
document. Yes, I realize that versions with the same major version number
are supposexd to be backwardly compatible, but this is an entirely
different issue.

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
to come up with a better one.