From: jerryj
To: 'MHS:pushpull@netscape.com'
Subject: Client Pull comments
Date: Saturday, June 29, 1996 10:59AM

Help!  I have a great use for client-pull, but it is not working.

I have an html document with 10+ GIF images.  In the HTTP response
header for each GIF (not the text html), there is "Refresh: 5".  You
can see what I wanted to do!--I wanted NetScape to update each GIF
within the document every 5 seconds, but it does not work.  Instead,
what I see is that 5 seconds later, I see my document replaced by only
one of the 10 GIFs.

Why is "Refresh" implemented as a global concept in NetScape? [It seems
to launch a new document].

Why not instead assign "Refresh" TO AN OBJECT (NOT GLOBAL).  If the
object to be refreshed is an html document, refresh the document.  If
the object to be refreshed is an object WITHIN a document, update the
object WITHIN the document (and do it smoothly, no flicker).

I could use server-push, but this requires extra coding.  Also, there
is a potential for a new socket connection for each image, which I want
to avoid (since I could have a LOT of images within one document).

I would really like to see this implemented.  If there is anything that
I can do to help, please let me know.

Please respond and let me know what you think and does this have any
chance of being implemented.  Thanks.

- Jerry Jongerius (jerryj@datametrics.com)