Re: (ACCEPT*) Draft text for Accept headers

Koen Holtman writes:

> 10.2  Accept-Charset
>
>    The Accept-Charset request-header field can be used to indicate what
>    character sets are acceptable for the response. This field allows
>    clients capable of understanding more comprehensive or
>    special-purpose character sets to signal that capability to a server
>    which is capable of representing documents in those character
>    sets. The US-ASCII character set can be assumed to be acceptable to
>    all user agents.
>
> |  [##QUESTION TO BE RESOLVED: Apparently, the latest HTML spec says
> |  that iso-8859-1 can be assumed to be acceptable to all user agents.
> |  Should the above US-ASCII be changed to iso-8859-1??  There has
> |  been lots of discussion on the list, but I have not been able to
> |  detect a consensus opinion.##]

My 2 cents: it soyld be iso-8859-1 that is the default, referring
to previous discussion for that view.

Another suggestion: there should be a quality parameter also with
accept-charset,  a q<1 meaning that the browser may be able to display
in a less readable fashion, for example in mnemonic or 10646 fallback,
or that it need to shift fonts or load a special programme to
dispaly the charset or other impeded things.

Keld