Re: 'PUT' transaction reconsidered (was Re: two-phase send concerns )

On Thu, 28 Dec 1995, Roger Gonzalez wrote:

> Jeff> But I still assert that the optimistic approach is "better"
> Jeff> (perhaps not "best") if one believes that, most of the time,
> Jeff> RTTs do matter and servers will not reject PUT-like methods.
>
> While I agree with you overall, I don't buy this.  The first PUT
> in any session will almost -always- be rejected.  Here's my reasoning:

Well, my sample is a couple versions of Netscape, but I believe your
reasoning is based on an untrue premise.  I am a regular user of
www.quote.com and have been prompted for basic authentiation data
and supplied it since my lasst restart of Netscape.  The next time
I communicate with www.quote.com Netscape provides the authentication
data w/o prompting by the server.

It has been and is my belief that most PUTs will occur in response to
a prompt page from the same server/authentication domain. If the
challenge/response occurs before the setup/prompt page is delivered,
it is likely that the UA will provide the same response with the
PUT and avoid the challenge.

Dave Morris