Re: 'PUT' transaction reconsidered (was Re: two-phase send concerns )

Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com> wrote:
> I'm becoming more and more convenced that single-exchange PUT is
> unworkable. That is, PUT might have to happen in two steps:

> 1. client: wanna PUT this file, various parameters ...
> 2. server: OK, send file (or permission denied)
> 3. client: OK, here's the file.
> 4. server: OK, got the file

This seems logical to me.  Neither FTP (which uses a second connection)
nor SMTP (which uses a two-step request reply on a single connection),
the two (IMHO) most widely implemented high-level protocols around, can
do this in one step.  So you've got a good precedent for the two-step
approach

   o _ |_ __  +  |_  _  _ |/    Software Developer / Web Wizard
  \/  ___________________)      http://www.reference.com/~jbeck
     (______________            jbeck@reference.com