Re: Host header (and Proxies)

Ari Luotonen writes:

 > Daniel LaLiberte writes:
 > > This raises several interesting issues, actually, mostly about
 > > proxies, as discussed below.
 >
 > Either the spec is not clear on it, or we're just getting sidetracked.
 > The Host: header is to be used with HTTP URLS only, not URNs.  There
 > is no issue wrt proxies, and there is no issue wrt being forward
 > compatible with URNs.

I don't know about the spec, but there is an issue wrt proxies if
clients talk to proxies via HTTP.  Most of my posting was arguing how
proxies and servers should be viewed as being pretty much
indistinguishable, although they are clearly used for mostly different
purposes today.  So unless we want to define a different protocol
for proxies, I would suggest we think about how they relate.

 > But the entire URL is passed to the proxy, and there needs not be a
 > Host header, or if there is, it should be replaced by the proxy.

That's what I said too.

 > Yes; when people talk about proxies, there are really two main kinds
 > of them,

And there are two kinds of people, those who divide things into two
groups and those who don't. :)  I can imagine other subdivisions, but
that's a subject even further outside of the http-wg camp.

dan