Re: Beth Frank: Question about Host

Larry Masinter writes:
> I don't think we should provide specially for those clients that use
> IP addresses or partial host names instead of FQDNs, e.g., the client
> should send what it has, and the server should respond as best it can
> using what it gets.
The possible source of the partial host names is the user itself.
Clients use what they get.
> Almost all web services do not host multiple servers for a single
Now. But later?
> site; we shouldn't impose any more computational work on the clients
> for the < 1% of hosts, who can deal with non-FQDNs and IP addresses in
> the same way that they deal with clients that don't send a 'Host:'
> field at all -- give a menu of choices, present a default, etc.
Good idea!
If a multi-identity server can't determine the intended identity to use,
either shall present a menu of choices (preferred) or present the default
identity.
The question is:
We should add this to the section, describing Host: or open a new section
dedicated to multi-identity servers?
NOTE: The same problem of IP addresses and partial host names appears when
a client uses a proxy.

Andrew. (Endre Balint Nagy) <bne@bne.ind.eunet.hu>