Re: Q: A Solution for Multi-Identity Multi-Home HTTP Servers ?

David Blustein writes:
>HTTP clients could send the complete URL request with the request
>data (i.e., include the FQDN used in forming the oringinal URL).
David,
This is a topic that has been debated recently. From one point of view your
solution is the most elegant. As a matter of fact my HTTP server software
recognizes URLs in the form HTTP:// and realizes that they are full URL's.
Its really not that hard. However because the signifigant installed base of
servers do not support this, noone is going to use the above in their client
unless they have hardwired their client for their server (Or eventually we
have some better mechanisms).

In any case,
a) Lets get this right in HTTP-NG.
b) I really don't see any harm in encouraging server vendors to start
supporting full URL's. It IS possible that we might be able to support this
in some way.

On the other hand of course we will still wind up having yet another header
field like "host:" or whatever else you prefer in particular.

Alex Hopmann
ResNova Software, Inc.
hopmann@holonet.net