Re: Suggestion: PUT if-not-modified-since

On Sat, 2 Sep 1995, Larry Masinter wrote:

> While there is no 'LOCK' operation and I'm reluctant to try to define
> one, I would suggest a if-not-modified-since header on 'PUT'.
>[...]
>
> Of course, this is for 1.1 or 1.2 or some such. Opinions?

I think it's a good idea which fits well.  It does raise the ante for
the idea someone recently proposed for the last-modified header allowing
the server to provide a unique version ID token with the date or in lieu
of the date.  Update collision detection needs to be an early part of
the protocol. How to respond should remain to the creativity of the UA
implementors for now.

Dave Morris