Re: HTTP/1.2 stuff: try it out!

Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com> wrote (Fri Aug 18 21:11:10 1995):
  >     [dmk wrote:]
  >     1) If there's a Connection: keepalive request header, the server will
  >     hold the connection open for 10 seconds.
  >
  > This might be a bit short.  My trace-based curves show a fairly
  > sharp "knee" in mean requests/connection at somewhat higher timeouts,
  > around 1-2 minutes.
As you mentioned in your paper
	<http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/IT94/Proceedings/DDay/mogul/HTTPLatency.html>
there are two sources of such requests:  requests for inlined images
and subsequent hits on links by a user.  I'm shooting for the first
batch, I admit.  In the future, with authentication and payment
additions to HTTP, the short keepalive will address a larger proportion
of the same-server traffic.  Do you have any measurements for which of
the two sources produces more of the same-server hits?

Dave Kristol