Re: Improving If-Modified-Since

At 1:11 PM 8/15/95, Lou Montulli wrote:
>> >I have tested this change against the Netscape, NCSA, CERN and Apache
>> >servers and all of them ignore the addition of size=SIZE, so we
>> >can add this addition without fear of backwards compatibility concerns.
>>
>> This will break MacHTTP and WebSTAR. According to the last published
>> "standard", the if-modified-since header field's argument (the date) is
>> terminated with an end of line sequence. This is how it's currently parsed
>> in both of those servers. Given the large installed base of these servers,
>> it'd be nice to find an alternate solution.
>
>Are you sure it will break MacHTTP and WebSTAR, or do you just assume it
>will?

Given that I'm the author, I'm pretty sure. :)

>  If it does, these servers are not following the spec.  HTTP
>headers are MIME headers, and MIME headers can always be followed by
>a semi-colon and additional attributes.  If they do break with the
>new header then we will need to figure out how many are out there and
>weather there are enough to make a significant difference in the
>decision.

Well, according to the last 2 Web surveys, it's either the #2 or #3 server
in terms of installed base (depending on survey), along with NCSA and CERN
httpd. I think we need to worry about the installed base.

Chuck Shotton                               StarNine Technologies, Inc.
chuck@starnine.com                             http://www.starnine.com/
cshotton@biap.com                                  http://www.biap.com/
                 "Shut up and eat your vegetables!"