Cookies

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Alexei Kosut wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Jul 1995, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > Won't stop it from being put into Netscape 1.2 of course, with the
> > corresponding "you must be using N1.2 to view these pages!"  messages across
> > the net I'm sure....
>
> Maybe I've misinterpreted this statement but.... cookies are implemented
> in Netscape 1.1 and 1.1N, right now. Your statement seems to indicate
> they may be in 1.2, but they're here already....

You're right, my mistake.

> Haven't seen any pages
> that make use of them in a way that excludes non-cookie browsers yet,
> although there was one thing that a friend of mine used them for that
> struck me as really neat. He used them to simulate a multi-host server,
> without using multihoming, a modified IP driver, or waiting for HTTP 1/1.

[example deleted]

I'd like to be the first to label that solution a glorious H-A-C-K.  True,
not much more of a hack than multihoming based on IP aliasing, but *not* the
most general solution for the problem.  That's my concern with the cookie
proposal in general - it supports the development of server-side hacks and
backflips, and masquerades them as real solutions, slowing down the
pressure and lengthening development time for the real solutions.  Yes,
Session-ID's won't completely enable shopping carts - that's not their
point.

Anyways, most of us here are probably also on www-talk so to avoid saying
what's been said before, start at

http://gummo.stanford.edu/hypermail/www-talk-1995q2/0129.html

The thread is long but worthwhile points are made throughout.

	Brian