Re: HTTP status code for "Password Expired"?

On Wed, 10 May 1995, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> should be some form of "Authorization Refused", but we seem to be lacking
> one of those.  Do we need one?

Password expired is certainly a specific case where we can anticipate
that UA might desire to interpret the error and enter into a local
dialog with the user to obtain a new value. Though a general
"Authorization Refused: Expired" rather than specific "password expired"
would seen appropriate.  It may be that a certificate  from a trusted
source has expired and the UA might simply obtain a new certificate.

For discussion, let me sugggest a few reason codes which might result
in UA action:
    expired -- as above
    unknown user         : user is not known - some non UNIX systems
                           differentiate between user and password error
    unknown authority    : certificate authority is unknown, etc.
    invalid              : combination ... typical UNIX login refusal
    invalid password
    resources exhausted  : for example insufficient funds
    use count limit      : a certificate might allow 1 or limited uses
                           (like a movie theatre ticket or permission to
                           copy)
In general, I would hope a UA would lead the user thru the resolution
or even provide the resolution.

Dave Morris