Re: Unverifiable Transactions / Cookie draft

On Mon, 17 Mar 1997, Dwight Merriman wrote:
> Designers of web sites (at least the large percentage who will advertise on
> the web) will have to take into account that cookie assignments on their
> home page may fail a large percentage of the time.  If they wish to measure
> number of unique visitors to their site, they will get a highly inaccurate
> reading since often multiple cookies will be assignied to a single user
> before one "sticks".

This is reportedly already the case to due to faulty proxies.  I believe
Hotwired keeps an extensive database of which proxies fail to properly
pass-through cookie assignments as a result.

My point is simply that other system faults already require the complexity
you mention.

M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>