Re: Connection Header

On Mon, 19 Dec 1994, Ari Luotonen wrote:

> This is a couple of orders of magnitude smaller problem -- you PUT
> files a lot less than people GET them (at least I wouldn't want to be
> the webmaster of such an unpopular site...).  Even then you can have
> an MPUT.  I have a hard time imagining that someone would
> realistically do multiple GETs/POSTs/PUTs intermixed.  Really.

I have no problem at all ... consider the connection is between a proxy
and a client.  It could be quite appropriate for that connection to remain
open for extended periods of time ... that should be a client/proxy
decision.  As this support becomes available, it is important that
the parameters be quite tunable.  For some smart proxies with the
ability to utilize sessions between themselves and servers to
support multiple clients it is quite possible that multiple
transactions could be intermixed.  Why limit what can be done.

Finally, my experience over many years suggests that the ultimate users
will utilize the facilities we design and implement in ways we have
not conceived of.  Lets not avoid reasonable features because we don't
know how we would utilize the function.

Dave Morris