Re: http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Protocols/Overview.html

Thus wrote: "Roy T. Fielding"
>Larry Masinter wrote (on Monday):
>>> 4.2 Content Types
>>
>> In what way is the HTTP content-type a superset of the MIME BNF?
>> If you must repeat some BNF that occurs in another RFC, you must
>> identify how this is either just a repeat, or a modification, and if
>> it is a modification, how it is different from the source.
>
>It is a superset because it does not restrict itself to the official
>MIME types and x-token types, as does the MIME spec.  Thus, the parsing
>is the same but without restricting the token values.  This is equivalent
>to the RFC 1590 decision to not constrain media types.

I'm sorry, I don't see this difference is meaningful.  MIME defines
some types, a system for registering them, and says that unregistered
types should have x- labeling.  1590 improves the registration process
and changes the terminology to reduce email-centrisms, but changing
the grammar hardly seems necessary.  Are you saying HTTP should not
call for unregistered media types to employ the x-token convention?

Mind you, there are aspects of media type procedures I'd like to see
changed to increase HTTP-friendliness.  I'd like to see an easier way
to revisit media type definitions, and I'd really like to see more
liberal guidelines for optional parameters (since in HTTP, unlike
Email, you sometimes have the C-T without the object itself.)  But
that's for another day.

>I'd rather include the generic syntax, just in case the MIME people
>change their minds.  I am tempted to just remove MIME-Version altogether
>(except for gateways), but that will have to be a group decision.

Given that we're picking and choosing which portions of MIME to
include and which to ignore, tying to 1.0 seems as sensible as
anything else.

- Marc
--
Marc VanHeyningen  <URL:http://www.cs.indiana.edu/hyplan/mvanheyn.html>