Re: [Fwd: another possible ietf-http-ext work item: proxy cookies ]

From: Rohit Khare <rohit@bordeaux.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 13:37:00 -0800
To: "Woodhouse, Gregory J." <gregory.woodhouse@med.va.gov>
cc: ietf-http-ext@w3.org
I'd like to chirp up on Dave's point: proxy cookies are very useful for proxy
apps which *do* transform content. Which language, for a language-translator;
which-profile for a content-filtering scheme, and so on. One current
work-around is proxy-authentication (e.g. Lucent's anonymizer), but cookies,
now that we have them, seem like a better solution.

A whole bunch of examples of "active proxies" are in this paper:

http://www.cs.caltech.edu/~adam/papers/csa98b

Rohit