Re: [Enum] Invitation for ENUM applications/service providers

At 05:25 PM 3/17/2002 -0800, Jim Reid wrote:
>I apologise in advance as this is somewhat off-topic for these lists
>but I hope the moderators will indulge me. This is probably the most
>effective way of reaching out to the audience that's being sought.

First this note is not off-topic for the ENUM WG..indeed it is totally in
scope with the WG's revised charter.

"3. The Working Group will continue to maintain appropriate contact and
liaison with standards bodies and groups, specifically ITU-T SG2, in order
to provide technical or educational information as needed, such as the
appropriate use of DNS. The Working Group will encourage the exchange of
technical information within the emerging global ENUM community as well as
documentation on practical experiences with implementations or
administration of RFC 2916."

>The UK Government intends to start a national trial of ENUM. This should
>hopefully start in the summer and last for 6 months. It will be
>operated by an ad-hoc group drawn from industry: telcos, registry and
>registrar providers, etc. The objective of the trial is to determine
>the viability and desirability of operating a production ENUM service
>for the UK. Participation in the trial is open to all, especially
>developers of ENUM-capable software or ASPs who can offer ENUM-aware
>services. Anyone interested in taking part in the trial should contact
>Alwyn Thomas at the Department of Trade and Industry. His email
>address is Alwyn.Thomas@dti.gsi.gov.uk.

Is there any restriction on the geographic location of participants?

I'd specifically like this ad-hoc group to maintain contact and liaison
with the chairs and we would welcome ID's documenting the organization of
this trial, scope and results. As you may know we will eventually want to
take 2916 from proposed to draft in the usual IETF manner manner.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt

The requirement for taking a RFC from proposed to draft standard require 2
demonstrations of inter operability and this trial could be useful in
documenting that process.

Thank you for making the list aware of this opportunity!

Richard Shockey, Senior Manager, Strategic Technology Initiatives
NeuStar Inc.
45980 Center Oak Plaza   Bldg 8     Sterling, VA  20166
1120 Vermont Ave NW Suite 400 Washington DC 20005
Voice +1 571.434.5651 Cell : +1 314.503.0640,  Fax: +1 815.333.1237
<mailto: rshockey@ix.netcom.com> or
<mailto: rich.shockey@neustar.biz>
<http://www.neustar.biz>
<http://www.enum.org>