RE: No apologies if you receive this multiple times

At 21.25 -0700 0-05-02, Dan Kohn wrote:
> I believe the issue here is a misunderstanding on what level of heuristics a
> mailer could be expected to achieve.  I strongly suspect that it is
> computationally infeasible to avoid both false positives (denial of service
> attacks) and false negatives (having two versions of a message because, for
> instance, one of the mailing lists adds unsubscribe information to the
> body).

I am an moderator of a LISTSERV mailing list. Sometimes,
the same message is sent twice to the mailing list. The
LISTSERV software recognizes this, even if the Message-ID
is not identical. The LISTSERV then asks me as a moderator
whether this, presumably identical message, should really
be sent to the mailing list again. This seems a good and
proper way to handle it - note the possible correlation,
ask a human what to about it.
--
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)
for more info see URL: http://www.dsv.su.se/jpalme/