RE: Proposal: Mailing list archive requirement(s)

Non-simultaneous group communication is done through two different
kinds of services:

(b) Groupware systems, like Usenet news, where the same user interface
     is used for reading, searching, filtering, writing.

(a) E-mail mailing lists. Here, reading is done by ordinary mail clients,
     but these mail clients can use filters, to put each list into a
     separate folder. The reader will then have the same kind of
     structured reading as in groupware. Archiving is done by separate
     archiving systems, which again can provide the same services
     as groupware systems.

I am not sure that users want it to be this way. Users want to discuss
topics, organise their discussions, browse old discussions. Users
probably prefer to do this in a unified way.

Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)