RE: IAB draft on security

At 05:02 PM 7/27/1999 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>I don't agree.
>
>In effect, 1984 makes a set of cases about general issues.  It's entirely
>generic.
>
>I think that something which analyses current detail would be appropriate.

I fully agree with Dave.

The question of "what about export rules" come up so often in various
security debates that it really should be dealt with in the secmech
document. Two or three paragraphs explaining why the IETF rules were
adopted, what has transpired since RFC 1984 that have shown the rules to be
good ones, and advice to implementors who are faced with legal issues
implementing the mechanisms described in secmech would go a long way to
getting security actually implemented correctly.

We're not trying to change the laws here, simply to explain why we are not
paying attention to some transient local laws when we design protocols with
security.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--Internet Mail Consortium