Re: IAB draft on security

At 08.47 -0400 99-07-26, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
>The IETF decided long ago that this was (mostly) a US problem, and that we
>wouldn't let our standards be crippled to accomodate it.

It is not a US-only problem. There is an international agreement,
which most of the developed countries have signed, and in which they
promise to restrict export of encryption. Different countries do, I
believe, interpret this agreement more or less rigorously. I think
the agreement has the name Wassenaar Agreement on Export Controls for
Conventional Arms and Dual-use Goods and Technologies, see
    http://www.techweb.com/wire/story/TWB19990518S0038

I know that in Sweden, a number of companies have had problems with
not being allowed to export encryption. France has earlier been very
strict on this, but I have heard that they are changing their minds.
Jacob Palme <jpalme@dsv.su.se> (Stockholm University and KTH)