Re: IAB draft on security

In message <v04210106b3c1d31e6300@[130.237.150.138]>, Jacob Palme writes:
> At 20.44 -0700 99-07-21, Paul Hoffman / IMC wrote:
> >This list might be interested in draft-iab-secmech-01.txt. It
> >describes the applicability of various IETF security mechanisms to
> >various situations, including applications. Steve Bellovin says he
> >hasn't gotten much comment on it and wants to go to last call soon,
> >so you should review it soon and let him know if you have any
> >changes or desired additions.
>
> The document, like many other security documents, tells too much
> about what will not work, too little on what will work. It seems as
> if security experts are better at telling you that something is
> dangerous or might not be secure, than telling you how to get
> security. I would prefer to get more practical advice with
> recommendations on how to get the security you want.

Hmm -- I thought that it was doing that; its whole purpose was to provide
a list of techniques that could be used in specific niches.  I'll reread it
from that perspective.

> This may be a reason why security techniques have so much trouble
> getting accepted and used.
>
> I was interested to note the warnings against MD5, since MD5 is so
> popular. But why not tell us what we should use instead of MD5,
instead of just saying that MD5 has security risks.

Will fix.

> There was no mention of the export restriction problem with
> encryption tools. Is this not a major problem? How can you
> resolve it?

The IETF decided long ago that this was (mostly) a US problem, and that we
wouldn't let our standards be crippled to accomodate it.