Re: Application "core protocol" BOF/WG idea

Chris Newman wrote:

> I'm interested in feedback on the following BOF/WG idea.  Do you think
> this is a good/bad idea?  Any suggestions to improve the proposed charter?
> Anyone interested in being a document editor of either of the two
> proposed documents or interested in WG chair/co-chair position?
>
>                 - Chris
> ------
> The APPLCORE BOF will discuss the following proposed charter:
>
> Application core protocol WG  (APPLCORE)
>
> The IETF has traditionally developed application protocols directly on top
> of a raw TCP stream.  However, there is a growing set of problems which
> many application protocols have to solve regardless of what the protocols
> do.  This WG will identify these problems, identify the successes and
> failures that deployed IETF protocols made when addressing these problems
> and design a simple core protocol to address these problems.  This core
> protocol may then be used by future application protocols to simplify both
> the process of protocol design and the complexity of implementing
> multi-protocol servers.

Interestingly enough, this I-D was just published. It looks like it
would be relevant to this discussion.

	Tony Hansen
	tony@att.com

=============
INTERNET-DRAFT                                               Tom Harding
Expires: 1 August 1999                                ThinLink Solutions
<draft-harding-extensible-protocol-00.txt>               1 February 1999

                          Extensible Protocol

Abstract

   This memo defines the Extensible Protocol (XP).  XP is a generic
   application-level protocol meant to serve as the foundation for
   specific protocols, in a manner analogous to the way in which the
   Extensible Markup Language (XML) recommendation of the World Wide Web
   Consortium serves as the foundation for specific markup languages. XP
   is a bidirectional protocol on which XML documents are exchanged
   between two endpoints.