Re: Licence issue / versioning

de Carvalho Klose, Daniel wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> I am currently concerning about one issue referring to the licence model
> of one commercial vendor of a certain project management software and
> would like to kindly ask you if it is right what this vendor is doing:
>
> The vendor is promoting a webbased projectmanagement tool that has the
> webdav standard included (file repository for project data etc.). The
> weird thing of his licence model is, that the customer has to pay for
> the "versioning feature" within the webdav standard. It seems totally
> odd for me, since WEBDAV is an open standard that has already the
> versioning feature included. For me it would be the same as paying for
> the "send" feature in the ftp protocol, whereas "receiving" is free!
>
> I appreciate any statement regarding to my issue.
>
> Kindest regards.

Hi.

First of all, there seems to be some confusion about Versioning in
WebDAV. Despite its name, WebDAV as defined per RFC2518 does not include
any versioning features. Those have been defined in DeltaV (RFC3253).

That is, if software package claims to support WebDAV, it's totally OK
for it not to implement RFC3253.

Hope this helps,

Julian