  Von: ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org
[mailto:ietf-dav-versioning-request@w3.org]Im Auftrag von Clemm, Geoff T
  Gesendet: Freitag, 27. September 2002 14:00
  An: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
  Betreff: RE: UPDATE semantics for checked-out resources

  I agree with your conclusion, but I believe this follows from
  the DAV:no-overwrite-by-auto-update precondition for CHECKIN, i.e.:

   If the DAV:auto-update property for the checked-out resource
   identifies a version-controlled resource, at least one of the
   versions identified by the DAV:predecessor-set property of the
   checked-out resource MUST identify a version that is either the same
   as or a descendant of the version identified by the DAV:checked-in
   property of that version-controlled resource.

  If the VCR is checked-out, there is no DAV:checked-in version,
  which means this precondition would not be satisfied.