Re: Antwort: RE: Problems with Windows XP "redirector" and Mac OS X WebDAVFS.

Edgar,

Am Freitag den, 26. April 2002, um 13:06, schrieb Edgar Schwarz:

> Hi Stefan,
> why are you so pessimistic ?
> I would assume that most "safe save" algorithms will have a
> recognizable
> pattern
> like MOVE a -> b, PUT a, DELETE b.

this sequence of operations has an outcome which is defined
by the RFCs 2518 and 3253. That definition makes sense if a
client wants to safely replace a *without* autoversioning.

A client which wants to do autversioning should do
PUT b, COPY b -> a, DELETE b.

> So a clever autoversioning server could assume that b was a
> temporary file
> which
> can be thrown away (Also deleting the autoversioned history) and
> autoversion a.

The problems with this are:
- the servers is guessing on the intention of the client - this
   could be wrong
- Only after DELETE b, the server could guess that the new a is the next
   version of the former a (now b).
- Before DELETE b, the new a is either a unversioned resource or a
   VCR with its own, new version history.
- The situation gets easily messy if someone does a PROPPATCH a
   before DELETE b. If a is a VCR at that time, autoversioning strikes
   again and a has 2 versions. Both versions need to be applied
   to the version history of the "old" a...
- How long should a server monitor for a DELETE after the PUT a?
  etc.