Re: Problems with Windows XP "redirector" and Mac OS X WebDAVFS.

Am Freitag den, 26. April 2002, um 05:00, schrieb Clemm, Geoff:

> If the client first does a MOVE, then I agree there's not
> much an auto-versioning server could reasonably do.
>
> Just for interests sake, what is the motivation for
> those libraries to do a <MOVE-to-temp1, PUT-to-temp2,
> MOVE-to-real, DELETE-temp1> instead of the simpler
> <PUT-to-temp, MOVE-temp-to-actual> ?

I had a closer look and it's seems to be rather application
specific. What role the frameworks play in this, maybe someone
from apple can elaborate.

The example I gave comes from TextEdit application on OSX.
TextEdit always creates a backup file (test~.txt), but the
default setting is that this backup is deleted. That explains
the strange MOVE/DELETE on that.

I tested with Internet Explorer. IE, if asked to replace an
existing file, will first DELETE the file and then create
a new one.

Then I tested Apple's Mail application. That app will first
create a temp file and then MOVE the temp file to replace
the existing one.

So the answer is: it depends. Which is rather unfortunate.

//Stefan