Re: Label header vs PROPFIND depth 1

Am Mittwoch den, 24. April 2002, um 17:50, schrieb Tim Ellison:

> Stefan Eissing wrote:
>
>> The result of a GET has to be cacheable by HTTP proxies.
>
> I see nothing to prevent the response from a GET including a
> 'Cache-Control:
> no-cache' header.  Why do you say that?

Then 3253 must require that DeltaV servers send no-cache on resonse
to *all* GETs on VCRs. Otherwise it breaks proxies.

>> For the LABEL header to be compliant with GET, it has to
>> select a variant (as variant in rfc2616) of the resource
>
> I disagree that it has to select a variant (or at least I haven't
> been shown
> why yet).

I think we do not share a common definition of "variant" and that
is causing all the confusion.

In my thinking a variant is what is returned by GET on a URI.
A lot of HTTP resources just have one variant at one point in
time. The cacheability of that is mainly influences by the Expires
HTTP header.
Some resources however have more than one variant at one point
in time. For example "Accept-Language" might influence which
variant is returned by GET. A server then should indicate in
the Vary response header which *request* header influences
the response. Caches will then only return cached results when
those request headers match.

Of course, DeltaV could disable all caching by requiring servers
to return "Cache-Control: no-cache" on all GET responses for VCRs.

I personally think this should be avoided.

//Stefan