RE: Label header vs PROPFIND depth 1

The semantics of the depth header is explicitly defined for PROPFIND. So you
can think of it as a parameter to PROPFIND. Headers that select variants
simply are different.

> ..
>
> > So this is different from for instance handling of the "accept-language"
> > header. Can you give a reason why this would be desirable?
>
> Rather than decide whether it should be different from the handling of a
> "accept-*" header, we should agree on what is the most useful definition.

Well, it should also be consistent with the handling of other headers,
right?

> Unless you are suggesting that this difference makes it
> impossible/difficult to implement, and I don't think that it does.
>
> So, I think the reason it is the way it is, is so that the results of the
> depth operation conform to the definition of multistatus, i.e. that the
> results are related by collection membership.

They are -- keep in mind that *I* am discussing the case where the target
collection resource is *not* version-controlled.

> "the multistatus XML element for a collection resource with member URIs
> MUST include a response XML element for each member URI of the collection,
> to whatever depth was requested"
>
> If the label: applied to each member of the version-controlled collection,
> then the results would be a set of versions that were not related by
> membership.

No, the result isn't a set of versions anyway. It is a set of *variants* of
the member VCRs. You will not see the version URIs in the response body.