RE: Label header vs PROPFIND depth 1

"Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de> wrote:

> > As written in section 8.3, the label: header only applies if the
> > request-URI identifies a version-controlled resource.
>
> Well, exactly that *is* my problem.
>
> I have a non-version-controlled collection with a versioned member
resource.
> A PROPFIND with label header and depth:1 will (or may) return a different
> response element for the versioned resource than a PROPFIND with depth:0
on
> the member resource itself.
>
> So I'd like to clarify/correct RFC3253 that the Label header is handled
just
> like any other HTTP header which causes variant handling -- it applies to
> the collection members as well.
>
> Otherwise variant handling would differ between -- for instance --
"Label"
> and "Accept-Language" -- and that doesn't make any sense at all.

No, the label: header does not apply to the members of the collection, just
the request-URI resource.  It behaves the same way as the Depth: header of
RFC2518, i.e. Depth: 1 only applies to the method at the request-URI
resource and not recursively to the members.

> > ...and do we agree that it doesn't?  It just changes the resource that
the
> > method is applied to.
>
> Yes. But if the collection isn't versioned (does not vary on the Label
> header), the Label header just should be *ignored* (for the collection),
and
> then *apply* to the indivual versioned members of the collection.

No, it will be ignored for the target of the method, and ignored for the
members of the collection.

Regards,
Tim