Re: Core versioning issues and nits

   From: "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>

   > > 2) Versioning of Properties
   > >
   > > We need a kind of property that applies to all versions,
   > > or to put another way, properties that apply to the
   > > version-controlled resource itself.  For example, the
   > > "owner" property maybe ought to apply to the whole shebang:
   > > when you change the owner, the new owner has to be responsible
   > > for everything, from the first version to the last and
   > > including the version-controlled resource and version history.

   > The version history refers to all the versions, and so that would
   > be the natural place to put the creator display name of the
   > 'component' owner.

   What I'd like is a straightforward statement (in the spec, not just in
   mail!) that the VCR can have all sorts of properties, including custom
   (dead) properties, that can be considered to apply to document as a
   whole, including all its versions.  I've given examples of the need for
   such properties.

This has probably been covered in the previous message on "pass
through" behavior, but just to make sure, if by a "property that can
be considered to apply to the document as a whole, including all its
versions" you mean a property that "passes through" to all its
versions, then, no, the protocol provides no such capability, in order
to prevent the complexities that caused us to give up on a direct
reference resource.

   Please resolve this.  Placing custom properties on the VHR is
   unacceptable, because a VHR doesn't appear in regular collections the
   way a VCR does.  You would have to make one request to collection
   '/lisa/' to find all the VCRs and all the URLs to the VHRs, then make
   'n' requests to all the VHR URLs to find the values of the custom
   property.

You can use the DAV:expand-property report if you want to obtain
all this information in one request.