RE: Removing a resource: A compromise that satisfies?

   From: John Hall [mailto:johnhall@evergo.net]

   > ... we already have the
   > optimization that has the DELETE on a version history also
   > delete all the versions in that version history.

   ... I might indeed get forced into supporting a VHR and telling
   clients that they have to do a PROPFIND (for VHR) and two DELETE's
   instead of just one.

That sounds like the right thing to do.  An extra PROPFIND and DELETE
seems like a reasonable amount of overhead for deleting the entire
version history of a resource.

   My other option would be to support the unofficial flag and let my
   clients make their own decision about the importance of compatibility.
   But a decision like that is above my pay grade.

Adding in optimizations that make your clients work better with your
servers is always a reasonable thing to do ... it does not harm
interoperability, but does give customers a motivation to purchase
your clients and servers (assuming you have picked a good set of
optimizations and added features).

   In fact, I'd probably recommend we do both.

Sounds right to me.