RE: Should CHECKOUT support a TIMEOUT?

It seems pretty easy to add "Note: any client can issue an UNCHECKOUT".

The spec says that deleting the working resource results in an implicit
UNCHECKOUT.

But what happens to the working resource if you do an UNCHECKOUT?
Should it be deleted?

Does a WRITE-LOCK prevent an UNCHECKOUT from succeeding unless you hold
the LOCK?  That would be a round about way of adding a timeout to a
CHECKOUT request.

If a WRITE-LOCK prevents an UNCHECKOUT unless the Locks is held and
specified, then someone with a working resource could lock the VCR
first.  In that case, perhaps the VCR and the working resource should
share the lock?

I could imagine an argument to CHECKOUT that requested a WRITE-LOCK
(shared or exclusive, for those who allow multiple checkouts) that
applied to both the VCR and the working resource.  Then you would have
to deal with the issue of how to release the LOCK (on checkin, or with a
different UNLOCK command).  I sort of like that but I've got the feeling
nobody else will.

So how about adding this tidbit on the CHECKOUT command: if the VCR is
locked, the lock token must be specified for the CHECKOUT to succeed.
If the CHECKOUT results in a working resource, the LOCK associated with
the lock token specified will be applied to the working copy as well.