RE: Confusion: Removing a resource from version control

   From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:lisa@xythos.com]

   > the temporary location back to the original URL.  Note that the
   > versions already created for the version-controlled resource will
   > continue to exist at their server-defined locations."

   This is clearer, but still problematic.  You've disguised a normative
   requirement as a clarification.

Normative statements are marked with capitalized words (such as MUST),
so this is not a normative statement.

   Without this "Note" on the end, my
   implementation would have done away with (deleted, gone, byebye) all the
   versions that are no longer associated with a version-controlled
resource.

Your implementation is allowed to delete anything it wants (but you
may well encounter clients that are disappointed by this behavior).

   If it is a requirement that the versions already created MUST stay
   around, even when the version-controlled resource is replaced by a
   non-version-controlled resource, then this must be a MUST.

   I'd prefer to say that the versions that are no longer associated
   with a VCR MAY be gone.

I'm happy to either delete this non-normative note, or to replace
the "will continue to exist" with a "may continue to exist".
Does anyone else care one way or the other?