Re: File creation date, version creation date, and getlastmodified

At 2:24 PM -0700 5/2/01, Lisa Dusseault wrote:
>WebDAV people:  RFC2518 leaves it carefully open whether 'getlastmodified'
>changes when properties of the resource change.  It seems useful either
>way -- users might want to get the last time the content was changed, or
>they might want to see the last time the file was touched at all.  Is there
>some precedent? ...
>
>Which one of the last two is most commonly handled by getlastmodified?
>Implementors speak up?

At Adobe our various servers take different positions on this.  We
have found that clients which have transitioned from doing FTP to
doing DAV and HTTP 1.0 clients tend to use getlastmodified where they
really should be using etags, so servers that cater to those clients
("general purpose servers" :^) are careful not to tamper with
getlastmodified unless the content changes.  But our high-end
workflow servers expect savvy clients and users who really care about
property (read workflow) changes, so they update whether or not
content changes.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems