From: Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de [mailto:Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de]
Sent: Sunday, April 22, 2001 5:42 PM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org
Cc: Edgar@EdgarSchwarz.de
Subject: Component instead of Configuration/Baseline/Component

Hi,
I know that it's late and probably Geoff is busy rewriting 14.1 to produce
15, but nevertheless here I have a proposal which would make some concepts
easier to understand IMHO.
In 11 (Baseline feature) a couple of new terms appear:
Configuration, meaning a tree of resources rooted at a root (:-) collection,
a technical term.
Baseline, a technical term which probably is just there because the feature
is
called like that, because basically it's just another word for
'configuration version'
Components, a logical term which is used to rationalize subbaselines.
So I would like to introduce just one new term: Component. And define it
like
the old Configuration (So Configuration disappears)
Instead BASELINE-CONTROL use COMPONENT-CONTROL. The necessity for Baseline
disappears. It's just a 'component version'.
Subbaseline-set becomes subcomponent-set and so on.
A 'Component feature' would show better I think what we want to gain than
'Baseline feature'.
So the beginning could e.g. be:

11 COMPONENT FEATURE
A "component" is a set of resources that consists of a root collection and
all
menbers of that root collection which aren't a component themselves. ...

This would just be a (Not so small I admit) editorial change. No different
functionality.
I hope I didn't miss something you can't do if you drop Configuration and
Baseline.

Cheers, Edgar

--
edgar@edgarschwarz.de                    http://www.edgarschwarz.de
*          DOSenfreie Zone.        Running Native Oberon.         *