   From: Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com [mailto:Tim_Ellison@uk.ibm.com]
   Subject: Re: checked-out VCC: A new proposal

   I agree that this conforms to the 'minimum change to the spec'
   criteria -- and it is even a defendable position (bonus!)

   I do not object.

While investigating the new "auto-checkout-manual-checkin" value for
DAV:auto-version, it appeared to me that things could be made
significantly clearer if we replace the DAV:auto-version property with
a DAV:auto-checkout and DAV:auto-checkin property.  This lets us
specify auto-checkout behavior independently from auto-checkin
behavior, which is what we need/want for "auto-checkout-manual-checkin".

Is this OK?

--------------------------------------

3.2.2           DAV:auto-checkout

When a modification request (such as PUT/PROPPATCH) is applied to a
checked-in version-controlled resource, if the resource is
non-write-locked and the DAV:auto-checkout property is
DAV:unlocked-update, or if the resource is write-locked and the
DAV:auto-checkout property is DAV:locked-update, the request is
automatically preceded by a checkout operation.

A server MAY refuse to allow the value of the DAV:auto-checkout
property to be modified.

<!ELEMENT auto-checkout ANY>
ANY value: A sequence of elements with at most one
DAV:unlocked-update element and at most one DAV:locked-update
element.
<!ELEMENT unlocked-update EMPTY>
<!ELEMENT locked-update EMPTY>

3.2.3           DAV:auto-checkin

When a modification request (such as PUT/PROPPATCH) on a checked-in
version-controlled resource has been automatically preceded by a
checkout operation, if the resource is non-write-locked and the
DAV:auto-checkin property is DAV:unlocked-update, or if the resource
is write-locked and the DAV:auto-checkin property is
DAV:locked-update, the request is automatically followed by a checkin
operation.

If a write-locked version-controlled resource was automatically
checked out because the DAV:auto-checkout property was
DAV:locked-update, a removal of the write lock (such as from an UNLOCK
or lock timeout) is automatically preceded by a checkin operation.

A server MAY refuse to allow the value of the DAV:auto-checkin
property to be modified.

<!ELEMENT auto-checkin ANY>
ANY value: A sequence of elements with at most one
DAV:unlocked-update element, at most one DAV:locked-update
element, and at most one DAV:unlock element.